Monday 2 January 2012

The Year of the Sausage - Two Point Whoa

My last post was about The Year of the Sausage and making some Toulouse Sausages.

Well I had a little pork belly leftover and put my hand to trying some fresh Chorizo.  Now this isn't the Chorizo you buy hanging from the deli, that morsel has been cured, either fermented or salted.  Fresh Chorizo needs to be cooked before eating, and needs to be stored in the freezer.

Here is my recipe from The Sausage Book, Nick Sandler and Johnny Acton:

2.2kg roughly minced pork belly (I used 300g and scaled down the recipe)
20g chopped garlic
50g Pimenton de la Vera (hot, bitter sweet or sweet)
40g salt
2.5m hog casings

Follow the method from the previous blog

This is the Pimenton de la Vera I used, and it is the BOMB!  

Finished product.  I made the sausage quite small, as they are packed with flavour.  I froze them each individually, that way I can throw one into a dish for added zing.

Thawed, Fried, KAPPOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment