Thursday 26 January 2012

Basil - Tear or Chop



Grapegirl and I were having a debate on whether to tear or chop basil.  I am chop, she is tear.  She suggested I ask twitter

"tweeps, please settle a household debate. Basil => tear or chop? And prove it! Blind tasting?"

Unfortunately no one actually said they done a blind taste test between the two versions, but the results were about 90% in favour of the tear over the chop.  Tho some people had tried mortle and pestle Vs food processor for basil pesto (mortle and pestle was favoured).  

I was unhappy that no one had actually tried both methods, but just took some TV chefs advice.  I am one for always doing trials and exploring what happens.  I am always asking the question "why?", and "is there a better way?".  


Aim: 
To investigate whether basil leaves should be torn or chopped

Method:
Part 1 - Visual inspection
Grab 2 leaves of similar size. Cut one in half, tear the other in half.  Below is a photo 5 minutes after cutting/tearing.  The bottom leaf was cut and showed more bruising.

After 15 minutes (who would have it hanging around that long?) I took another dodgy photo.  They appeared to have the same bruising.

Part 2 - Blind Taste Test
Grab 2 leaves of similar size. Cut one into 1/8's, tear one into 1/8's.  Soak in the exact same amount of water (1/3 cup) for 15 min.

We then performed a double blind taste test.  Both of us agreed that the glass on the left was not only higher in aromatics and fresher, but had less phenolics (bitterness).

Conclusion
Tear is better than chop.

And just for interest, my clever wife has tried something different this year for growing the basil.  A large pot with potting mix, no saucer underneath but buried a little into the soil, and a clear bag around the top.  Pot in the ground keeps it from drying out, black pot helps the soil warm up, bag keeps the top warm and moist.  I am a lucky husband.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting, very interesting! I will link to your post from my next post on basil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your curiousity and inquiry.
    I've always understood (from a teacher decades ago) that basil releases its oils differently between tearing and chopping.
    Tear = doesn't bruise as much, retains more oils in the leaf
    Chop = bruises more depending on how much it's chopped, oils are extruded.

    So, when I make pizza, I want the leaf to retain its flavour, I tear. But, when I cook dishes and want the flavour to be imparted into the sauce, I chop. I don't imagine a lot of different would be had between a simple (single) chop and a tear, but perhaps a more complex chop (like you would chopped/minced garlic) vs a tear would produce more divergence in flavours.

    ReplyDelete