Monday 12 December 2011

Pulling Garlic

I love growing garlic. There is something holistic about growing it. It feels like it is the right thing to do. But a few people have asked me what is the point when it is so cheap to buy?

It is so easy.
It taste better than store bought, China grown.
And, it help improves your soil.
In the long run it is free.

Last autumn I planted out several hands of organic purple garlic that I bought from Hill Street.  And this is the result.


The size this year is massive.  And we tried some fresh garlic a few weeks back and it was magical.


The haul was quite big too.  About 100 hands in total.  I left the bulbs in this giant pot for one week to dry off the soil.  Then I sat down with a nail brush and clean off the soil and trimmed the roots.


I plat my garlic into dozens and half dozens.  This year we are also going to try storing some garlic under oil as the last of last years crop did not last us 12 months.  Tips for plating, on each cross over, add one bulb, very close to the crossover.  Make it tight.


This should last us 12 months easy, and some left over for planting next year.  The aim is to be self sufficient in garlic.

1 comment: