Saturday 19 November 2011

Apple Tree Pruning - Fail

I have now owned apple trees for 2 seasons worth.  I have no experience with them and have only ever dealt with pruning grapes and a few roses.  So I thought, yep, no problem I can cut, shape, saw, hack.  It should be fine.

Year 1
I successfully cut off all the fruitful buds.  I tried to spur prune it like a vine.
Fail

Year 2
This past winter I tried to cane prune it, like a vine (well, it is my area of expertise).  Flowering is now pretty well under way, you can look at the result for yourself.
Not many flowers. Hmmm
Fail.

Here is close up of one of the branches and the reason for my gross incompetence.
You can see that all the flowers are coming off 2 year old wood.  I never knew.  For grapevines all the fruit is off one year old wood.  Cool, learnt something.

And what happens if you don't prune at all?  This is one of our transplanted youngsters.  
Just full of flowers.

Lesson (well, trial for next winter)
  • Prune nothing
  • At flower prune off all non flowering shoots
That should fix em.

No comments:

Post a Comment