Sunday 5 February 2012

ICCS - Posters

The International Cool Climate Symposium finished up yesterday, but I wanted to do one final post on my highlights of the poster displays.  I have included the links to the abstracts so that you can track down the authors for a full copy.

I will start with the winner of the poster Competition:

I passed over this poster because I thought, "hmph, NZ SBL", but went back to it after they won.  Quite clever.  They have found a temperature model to predict the yield of Sauvignon Blanc based on the previous season flowering temp and this seasons flowering temp.  One decides bunch number the other berry number, 2 vital parts of the yield equation.

Student Winner:

Angela Sparrow, from TasVegas, micro fermented Pinot Noir under several trials, with or without skins/seeds/etc.

Long title.  I am sure PhD students spend some of their time making up really long titles.  Fiona Kerslake, from TasVegas, is probably the first people to investigate leaf removal and its impact on sparkling fruit.

Bob Dambergs describes how his "Bodum" coffee plunger winery works. Very novel and the prelude to ...

Richard Smart has come up with ultra small fermenters, we are talking 50 grams of fruit!  and at $3 a fermenter, very cost effective.  I am considering using these for our trials at Pressing Matters.

Bob Dambergs, did I mention he lives in TasVegas, discusses the AWRI Tannin Portal.  Nifty, plug in 5 UV/Vis numbers from your spec and gives you anthocyanin, tannin, pigmented tannin, etc.  Shame it costs money to use.

There were a few more I was interested but didn't get photos of them.  Will have to re read them when I get mailed the preceedings.

No quote of the day, but I will mention one from the workshop I attended previously.

Andrew Landers:
"Don't roger your nozzles!"

No comments:

Post a Comment